Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A "Normal" Day.....

Wow....I think I just had a "normal" day! Pinch me....am I dreaming? I met Ashley at 10:30 am at the car place, as I gave her my old station wagon, and it needed a new gas filter and a shot of freon for the AC, especially right now in this unforgiving heat we are having. On Saturday when I gave her the car, we had gone to the oil change place and had that done and they told me it needed a new gas filter, but they charge up the wazoo for stuff like that, so I didn't want to have it done there because I have a guy that works on my cars and he did it like $24 cheaper today. So I met her up there, and then went to pay my property taxes, mailed something at the post office and then we came home and chilled for awhile. Later on, we went to pick up the car and I was in the mood for an IHOP crepe so we stopped and had an early dinner there and then came back home and she then drove back to her house in Daytona. See what I mean? It was normal! I'm not draggin butt.....feeling damn good actually, so I continue to be amazed at how a lack of those little red blood cells can wreak so much havoc in your body, and for the length of time it can last. For 3 whole weeks I thought I was slowly dying. It really felt that way. I finally scheduled my bone marrow biopsy for next Tuesday at 11:00 AM, but I have to be there at 9:00 AM as it is considered an outpatient surgery so you get assigned your little room and they start the IV's.....you know the drill, and then will have the biopsy and go into the recovery room afterwards. I can drive myself for the pre-appt on Monday to do the paperwork etc, but can't drive myself the day of the procedure because I will be having anesthesia. Hey Bobbie,( or Lissa to tell your mom), if you're reading this...and....if you aren't doing anything next Tues, come take me (aren't I getting better at asking for help?) LOL.... for my biopsy as there will be plenty of "down time" and we can be together the whole afternoon. Give me a holler and let me know if you're free that day and can take me, otherwise mom said she will. Other than that, I'm excited about getting this scheduled, so then I can begin my new IV chemo Velcade the Thursday after the biopsy and hopefully get the ball rolling on decreasing these pesky MM cells floating around and being a pain in my ass and interfering in my life. Just everyone keep your fingers crossed the RBC hold steady and I feel this good when I go in for the procedure :) Now that would be awesome.

3 comments:

Susan said...

So great to hear you being so upbeat and full of life again...keep it up..I knew you could do it!!!

Anonymous said...

My wife’s oncologist does the bone marrow biopsy himself at the cancer clinic in an exam room. She doesn’t even have and IV in. He just uses a little local anesthesia and then does it. He is known to be fast. Only takes him about ten minutes. He did one last Friday and we had the results on Monday.
She took Velcade, Doxil, and Dex the first couple of series. The he dropped the Doxil and reduced the dosage of Dex.
Hope the Velcade works well for you. Are you taking anything else with it?

Jan said...

Hi Anonymous :)
I also had my very first biopsy in the oncologist office with local anesthesia and I WILL NEVER have another done like that. Your wife is much braver than I am! The pain was so excruciating and seemed to last forever, even though I know it probably was only about 10 minutes or so, that I swore I would be put out for any subsequent biopsies. I had my 2nd at Moffitt Cancer Center when having my BMT. They put me out and I never felt a thing....woke up with a smile on my face! Only a slight tenderness in the hip for 2 days and that was that. About the chemo question: I am currently on 15 mg. of Revlamid (reduced from 25mg as blood #'s hit the wall on 25 mg.)and I take 40 mg. of Dex once a week. Starting next Thursday, he will be adding the Velcade, but I don't know how much right now. I also take coumadin to prevent blood clots from the chemo, but currently off of it right now, pending the biopsy since it is an invasive procedure and they don't want me bleeding all over the place! Thanks for you feedback and again, give your wife a pat on the back for her strength, as a needle going through skin, then piercing the hip bone and then into the bone marrow, is a big deal and she is one strong lady. :)