Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Most Important Relationship.....

We all treasure our relationships with those we love. We love those in our family and we love those we call friends. There are, of course, different levels of intimacy involved in different relationships. We share more information with certain others more than others. We share more thoughts with certain others more than others, and I suppose that is just because we feel an increased level of intimacy with some people more than others. The most important relationship that we are honored to have in this lifetime though, in my humble opinion, is the relationship we have with ourselves. To strive to build an honest, loving and truthful relationship with ourselves is the one most important thing we can do for ourselves AND for those we claim to treasure and love. Getting to really know how you feel (using feeling words, not thinking words), makes us truly who we really are. Once you become acquainted (or re-acquainted, as the case may be) with yourself, the next level is being able to express those feelings with those we love. I'm not talking "generic" either, I'm talking specifics. I love you because you make me feel___________. I love you because when I'm with you I feel ____________. I love you because when I think about the time/times when we ____________, you made me feel _____________. These are just a few examples of what I'm talking about. To be able to express ourselves at this level, at all times, is what I think we should all strive for. Can you imagine leaving a greater legacy than being remembered as a person who was truthful and loving and honest in all of your relationships? And not even remembered per se, just being recognized and respected and loved NOW for being that kind of person. I know that I WANT to be remembered for being THAT kind of person first and foremost, and recognized now that I am following that path as we speak. It is very important to me. To be able to reach this higher level of consciousness, however, takes a constant striving on our part. An active working on ourselves and the way we feel and a continual consistant way we express ourselves to those we love. What we need to remember though, is this is an ongoing process. Life is a continual process. There are the proverbial 2 steps forward and 1 step back in all our lives. It won't happen overnight, if you haven't begun to explore that part of yourself, nor will it be a one time deal. Getting to truly know and love and forgive and like and be honest with yourself is a constant, daily (minute-ly, hourly) process. I cannot think of a better, more loving way to communicate with those we love though. To be your own true self and be comfortable in your own skin and be able to share that with others is such an honor.....to yourself and to those we love. I think we all need reminders now and again, of what our priorities are in life and I just wanted to share one of my most intimate priorities.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Well said...enjoy your day..