Sunday, June 22, 2008

Anybody seen my HAIR???

They told me that about 10 days to 14 days after receiving chemotherapy, that I would begin losing my hair. And I'll be damned if I wasn't pretty much on schedule. At about the 10 day mark I would comb my hair and comb-fulls would come out. It's such a strange feeling watching yourself in the mirror combing your hair and tons of hair coming out with it! As each day went by more and more hair would fall out. The thing about the hair falling out though, is that it DOES NOT fall out evenly. I would have a spots that was as bare as a baby's bottom and then another spot that wasn't affected at all. Talk about weird!! So the bottom line is I began to look like the Crypt Keeper!! Remember him from introducing those scary movies on Friday or Saturday nights back in the day? LOL....it really was quite comical because if you lost your hair at an even pace all around your head it wouldn't be so bad. I was mentally prepared for the hair loss but knowing you will lose your hair and losing your hair is quite the different thing and I think that somewhere in the way back of my brain was "maybe you'll only lose a little hair and you won't even be able to tell". HA HA HA.....nope folks......not true not true!! I even made myself laugh when I wrote that!! During my hospital stay, Mom cut what was left of my hair into a blunt chin length cut, as not all my hair was gone....hence Crypt Keeper. But a few days after I got home from the hospital, I said to hell with this.....It's looking worse and worse everyday and we finally took the scissors to it and just cut the rest down to the nubs!! OMG.....I look like Howie Mandel. So I ask you......Deal or No Deal? LOL....oh well........think of all the money I'll save on shampoo and conditioner over the next year or so? The money I'll save on hair products like gel and hairspray? And the time I save getting ready to go somewhere?.....PRICELESS!! As the women reading this know the most time consuming thing about "getting ready" is doing our hair! And where do you think the saying "having a bad hair day" is from? Us women really tie our looks to how our hair looks most days, so when our hair looks crappy it has the power to make us feel crappy. LOL...... How dumb is that? Just to let ya'll know it's actually been quite a freeing feeling not having hair. I did wear scarves and some cute little hats when in the hospital and BMT clinic but at the apartment I don't wear anything. I even brought 1 of my 3 wigs to Tampa but didn't wear it as the scarves and hats were just fine. I kinda like not having hair now. It feels really weird and of course looks really weird and I get caught off guard when I see myself in the mirror, but I suppose I'll get used to it. It's just the combination of being so skinny AND the baldness makes me look like a prisoner at a concentration camp! My hair grows so slow too that I have a feeling I'm going to have LOTS of awkward stages till my hair grows back to a respectable length, so I'm really looking forward to those!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.