Friday, November 28, 2008

To Be Thankful......

I have so many things to catch up on and share with you, but the overwhelming topic swimming around in my mind (and heart) is "Thanksgiving" and "Thankfulness" right now. I'm probably going to sound sappy and like I should be writing for Hallmark cards, LOL, but yesterday (Thanksgiving) was especially special for me this year. I've always been the "chosen" person to say grace before the meal, and yesterday was no different. I was warned, in a joking way, of course, not to go through the entire litany of all that I am thankful for this year, as dinner would have gotten colder than ice if I had! I was sad though, that entire family wasn't present for the meal like usual, but we have only been home from our cruise for 4 days when Thanksgiving came around, and we didn't want to turn around and go back to West Palm for one meal, having just been gone and with all of us being together for an 8 day cruise. (LOTS more on the cruise with photos later)!! So Thanksgiving was at Mom's with Mom, Van, me, Ashley and Kevin this year. We did get Linz and Kate on the phone though, for the "drawing of the names" for Christmas gifts, so they could be a part of the process, while we were drawing Live! That's also something new for our family starting just last xmas and now this one, BUT we are planning to go back to the "old way" of doing things next year. In all years past, we all just all bought presents for everyone and had a field day. Since the economy has been so crappy, Kate starting her own business, me with all my medical bills, and really lots of other reasons, we reverted to name drawing, which really no one likes, but hopefully this is the last year we'll be doing it, and then go back to buying presents for everyone. This way we all have a year to re-coup, save some money and go back to the way we love to have x-mas......everyone buys for everyone! But back to my Thanksgiving thoughts.......I think that it's common to give "lip service" to saying "I'm thankful for this or that", but when a person is faced with what is truly life changing events, it makes one really push the "PAUSE" button and slowly think through the events of the year, become quiet within, and listen to what your heart is telling you what you are thankful for.My list is actually quite endless this year......and I feel that I have always pretty much been the kind of person that has recognized and given thanks for all that I have been given in life, it is only human to "take advantage" of all that any of us are blessed with and not truly recognize and name what we are thankful for, both big and small, but for me on the #1 all time "Thanksgiving" hit list is FAMILY. I have always LOVED and more importantly, I think, LIKED my family. We all are so funny and smart and laugh and just enjoy each other, yet this year my family's attributes that I so adore and feel fortunate for, were there for me a thousand fold and more. I can truly say I OWE MY LIFE to my family. I cry as a write this, as the deep deep gratitude I feel can become an overwhelming feeling for me. I don't know that many people who are as fortunate as I am, to have their entire family literally put THEIR lives on "HOLD" the way mine did for me. I've been sick for so very long and they stood, walked with, carried me, talked, listened, and more, this whole time and I NEVER felt alone......NEVER. They encouraged, cajoled, kicked me in the butt when I needed it, you name it......my needs were met, even when I didn't know what they were. I know I can truly count on my family to be there for me no matter what. Now please.....how fortunate am I? I can honestly say I AM the the most fortunate person in the whole universe and extremely thankful for my family. We all tend to get caught up in the material things of life sometimes......cars, homes, toys, etc.....but they won't be with you during the hard times, cheering you on....it's your family that will be there. I just want the whole wide world to know, that my family is sooooo awesome, something that is so deeply engraved in my heart. I will never be able to say it enough, and there really are no words adequate enough to express how very truly grateful and thankful I am to have these wonderful people chosen to be on this journey of life with me. My Family.

No comments: