Friday, February 20, 2009

I'm REALLY Full of HATE right now....

I really don't use the word "hate". Never really have used it as a regular word in my vocabulary. I'm not saying I have never ever used the word hate, as in "I hate mashed potatoes" (yes....I know....I'm weird) or "I hate watermelon"......(yes.....again...I know I'm weird), so when I think about it, I don't really use the word "hate" very much at all and the only time I can recall using it, is in regards to food items! The last few days though, I have used the word HATE in regards to cancer.....and not even my cancer! I'll scream it right now though....for ALL to hear......I HATE CANCER. In the last week, it has come to my attention, that 2 very close and dear people are dying from cancer, and I am just so angry that yes, it elicited the word HATE from me......numerous times actually. I mean deep down. Firstly, my dear long time and wonderful friend, who will remain nameless here, due to privacy issues, as I haven't asked for her permission to talk about this using her name, has found out that her Mom who has beat this CANCER Monster twice already in her lifetime, has again been diagnosed with a return to various parts of her body and it just doesn't sound good. She (the Mom) is a very religious person and has handled her past bouts of cancer with grace, confidence and courage......which, as I personally know, is a challenge in and of itself. Secondly, a male friend I know, oh gosh, we go back 35 years, has been diagnosed with not only lung cancer, but liver, brain and a multitude of other organ cancers. Kevin, my ex, called to tell me the news and after we got off the phone, I cried for about 2 hours straight. Really cried. I love this guy....we go back so far and have so many wonderful times and memories together....too many to even remember! The news of these 2 folks battling this horrible disease, just made me so angry and brought the word HATE into my brain. My heart aches for their present and future suffering. My heart aches for their families who are so powerless over this disease. My hear aches because these are good people and yet are consumed with this bad disease. I just had to write and get this out as I cannot stand to keep this HATE inside of me. We, as a people, need to reach out to each and every person who we love and treasure and make sure they know that we do. That's the only weapon I know that can battle cancer. Being together. Showing Love and Support. Talking and Sharing. As a present Cancer survivor myself, I ask that you do these things. Reach out and Hug who is important in your life. Tell them you love them. That's the only internal weapon we have.

1 comment:

Susan said...

So sorry to hear all this. At this point you have to be an encouragement for everyone else. Friends of mine are also battling it and it seems so unfair. I almost feel quitly when someone passes away from this dreaded thing...what makes be better than anyone else??? Hang in there and take care.